Saturday, December 15, 2007

Christmas cards

Christmas treeI always like to buy birthday and Christmas cards for boyfriends that actually have the word 'boyfriend' on them. But it's so hard. Firstly there's the problem of not getting a card which implies heterosexuality. And then the problem is that the wording is almost always things like "To my boyfriend", or "To my wonderful boyfriend", or perhaps "To my special boyfriend". I reckon the wording "my boyfriend" implies that there's only one, so most of these cards just don't work for a guy like me who has more than one boyfriend! Cards with things like "To the one I love", or "To my one and only" are even worse from this point of view.

In the end I've managed to find a simple card that just said "Brilliant boyfriend" on it, which seems perfect for boyfriend number 1. Whatever else the situation ends up being between us, I'm never going to deny that he has a lot of brilliant and adorable characteristics!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This year, I've been making my own Christmas Cards and selling them; they've been going well, so I'm thinking of doing a few more for Valentines' Day but have plenty of scope to cover non-standard relationship setups.

I've not got a clue about business, so I'm winging it a bit...

Superchilled said...

With desktop publishing possibilities as they are now I think you should follow the walking dead's example and make your own - should be a cinch for you given your obvious IT proficiency. Then you can have it say exactly what you want. An alternative is a blank card and write it yourself. Not so hard really...?

GB said...

To be honest Trevor, I think The Walking Dead's idea is better. If I tell someone else what I want, it's much easier to pay them to do it :-).

GB xxx

Soul Seared Dreamer said...

I have that problem at Father's Day. My mum insists on me getting a card for my dad and every card I see has words like 'world's best dad' or 'no1 dad' .. and I have to go looking ofr a card that just says 'happy fathers day'.