Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Is Rome the sleaziest city in Europe?

A couple of days ago, I wasn't particularly surprised when a taxi driver in Rome offered to take me to a special night club. I was surprised, though, when I examined my taxi receipts from this business trip in detail. A different taxi driver gave me the receipt below. I promise you, it IS a taxi receipt, and indeed you can see the word Taxi in the upper right hand corner. However, I bet that it was the large advert stretching from the upper left hand corner and into the middle of the receipt that caught your eye! Somehow, I don't think I can submit it as part of my expenses for the trip, so I guess I'll have to pay for it myself. I certainly don't want to suffer the humiliation of having the receipt refused, perhaps accompanied by an accusation that I'm trying to claim wholly inapprpriate business expenses!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

All is good with your taxi receipt, if you can read Italian, that is.

Yup, they are putting advertising to offset their cost and make additional income, just like so many other businesses do...

And tell your auditior, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do...".

SC

Anonymous said...

I like to think that we all carry our sleaziness with us wherever we go :-)

Rob said...

Try Sao Paulo cab drivers and brothel owners for being more "professional" ... once outside a hotel I was handed out a 10 page presentation written in the best BS such as "state-of-the art facilities" with pictures of all the rooms, amenities, etc. for a fancy brothel.
The most famous such place in Sao Paulo actually pays for your cab fare if the driver takes you there.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Jacqui Smith will be happy to submit it for you via her Commons expenses...

Anonymous said...

The ONLY decent city in Italy is Florence. The food is delicious, the residents are delicious. Rome is a combination of New Delhi, Berline and Providence Rhode Island. Leave as soon as you can.

Travis

Anonymous said...

I got the same type of receipt in Rome taxi three years ago. The problem was that I did not notice its strange character only after when my boss asked me for an explanation what is it, whether the institution should refund my relaxation in a night club ....

rickisimus2 said...

I had the same problem. LOL.

Diogenes said...

You can't put lap dances on your expense report?

Anonymous said...

pheww, thankfully to the traveler for whom I am processing expenses and submitted the exact receipt to me, I found your blog. I was thinking I am going to have to reject this and how awkward it will be.