Sunday, April 03, 2005

New York trip 2004: Thursday evening with D

After an uneventful day at work, I’m looking forward to seeing D in the evening. Just before 8pm I go down to wait for him outside the hotel. A few minutes later, I see him walking towards me, with a huge grin on his face. He’s clearly treating this as a date, and must have spent a lot of time getting ready. He’s wearing a colourful shirt, and looks great.

Since we’re in public I don’t go to kiss him. Instead I touch him lightly on the shoulder and smile at him, “So have you got any idea where we can go?” I ask.

“Yes, a friend told me there’s a good French restaurant a few blocks away, so let’s try there”.

As we’re walking along, D asks me about boyfriend number 1, “Does he know that you have fun with guys like me when you’re travelling?”

“No, actually he doesn’t”, I say looking a bit sheepish.

“Well if I get a boyfriend again who goes away on business trips, I can see that I’ll have to go along too!”

“So you used to have a boyfriend who went travelling?” I ask. It turns out that D used to have a European boyfriend who spent half his time back in Europe, and half in New York. But that was a couple of years ago now.

When we get to the restaurant, D looks suspicious. “Looks a bit touristy to me”, he says. “Never mind, lets trust my recommendation and see what’s it’s like”.

We order a starter and a main course. I order a glass of red wine, but D doesn’t drink and alcohol and sticks with water. Over the meal, D tells me about the European boyfriend that he used to have. Apparently D had offered to go and live with him in Europe but the offer fell on deaf ears, “so eventually we split up. I wish I had a nice boyfriend again”.

“You know, you should look after your boyfriend better”, he continues, “why do you meet guys like me when you’ve got a nice boyfriend waiting for you back in London?”

D makes me feel very guilty. The problem of course is that D is right, and D knows he’s right, and he knows that I know he’s right. He can tell he might have gone a bit far and changes the subject. “Don’t worry”, he says, “I still want to sleep with you tonight”, and he gives me one of his gorgeous smiles.

We decide that the restaurant is a bit too touristy so I pay the bill. “We can go somewhere else for dessert”, he says. “I should have trusted my instinct when we first arrived.”

Almost opposite the restaurant is one of D’s favourite Latin American restaurants so we go there for a spot of dessert. D seems to know the staff there and orders for us both in Spanish. While we’re waiting for it to arrive D spots a woman he knows who's eating at another table and beckons her over.

“Hi how are you, this is a friend of mine”, he says to her when she arrives, introducing me. She’s a lively, buxom woman probably aged around 40, and quite smartly dressed. They’re clearly old friends and they chat for short while, switching between Spanish and English.

“I’ve got more computer problems”, she says to D at one point, “can you come round sometime and see what you can do?”

“Yes of course, maybe later this week?” suggests D, “why don’t you give me a call”.

After she’s gone, D tells me that she’s one of the local prostitutes. “And fixing computers for these people is another little sideline of mine”, he says. So this must be another of his ‘various things’ he does to make money that he mentioned on Monday.

Afterwards we decide to head back to D’s place so we grab a cab. Back at D’s place he’s got a couple of dogs tonight, both different from the ones that I met on my previous visits. So I put my feet up with D takes them for a short walk.

Later, D can tell I’m still thinking about what he said, that I should take better care of boyfriend number 1. Indeed, I still feel guilty. “Are you sure you don’t want to go back to your hotel?” he offers, “I wouldn't mind”.

“No, I hate sleeping alone”, I say, smiling, “and I’ve been looking forward to another night with you all day”.

“OK, lets get ready for bed then”, says D.

While D is tidying up in the kitchen, I strip down to my undershorts and head to the bathroom to clean my teeth. “You know, you’ve got lovely legs”, he says as I’m walking back from the bathroom, “it was your legs which first attracted me to you when I saw your profile on gay.com”.

Soon D joins me on the bed and we cuddle up face to face. “You’re such a lovely guy”, I say to him, “I can’t believe you don’t have a boyfriend”. D looks slightly sad, perhaps thinking about his former European boyfriend. “You know”, I continue, “although I meet a lot of guys on my travels, I can tell that not many of them would make good boyfriends. But one day you'll be a great boyfriend for some lucky guy.”

“Really”, say D smiling, “so you don’t meet many guys who you think would make good boyfriends?”

“No, very few indeed. You’re very special.”

Needless to say, we have a some fun together before going to sleep in each other’s arms. We have another lovely night together. D is indeed a very special guy.

No comments: