Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Soft boy


A few days ago, I came across a diary that I'd written when I was only 10 years old. That was way before we all had computers, so naturally the diary was hand written.

In some ways, writing a diary is similar to keeping a blog up to date. One has to do it regularly, or there's no point. So perhaps the practice that I got all those years ago writing my little diary was early training to be a blogger!

Looking through my old diary, I found deciphering my appalling young hand-writing quite hard. But eventually I came across an entry that made me laugh:

SCHOOL. It started today. I went to sea all my friends again. We had a new boy his name is Michel. His eyes looked red and I think he is a Soft boy.

Apart from the fact that I can't spell "see", I obviously thought that I was a Tough Boy rather than a Soft Boy, whatever that meant to my young mind LOL! Luckily I've mellowed a bit since then. I don't think I'd have got many Dear GB emails if I'd maintained that attitude to people who need a little bit of help.

When I showed the diary entry to boyfriend T, I also told him that I could remember being at that school, and being very interested in looking at the other boys when they were naked in the showers after sport. But I didn't know why I was interested. Once he'd heard that, he decided that it must have been me who was the Soft Boy after all!

Did any other readers keep diaries when they were children? If so, can anyone let us know what they were writing about when they were around 10 years old?

2 comments:

Phunk Factor said...

I too kept a diary fr about 4 years...but then one of my cousins got to know about it and remarked on how it's a very feminine thing to keep a diary!

So i burned mine....i regret tht! It would have been awesome to go back and read it now!

Phil said...

I kept a diary from when I was 8 - 18, most of it was an account of my life at (boarding) school which all seemed very important at the time but now would be likely to be pretty boring. I don't have them any more. Typical comments were about other boys in my year, masters, classes, sport, food, success or failure on all fronts and how much trouble I might be in and the consequences - usually the cane. In the holidays it didn't seem so important to write and I often wrote nothing at all.