Monday, March 07, 2005

Coming out at work requires a lot of confidence

Stories like Gay man claims discrimination against banking giant prove that coming out at work is a dangerous game, especially in banking. I work for a bank and as I've said before, I'm not out at work (How easy is it to be an openly gay investment banker? and Why do I feel I can't come out at work?).

I can't help thinking that coming out should be easier for me than the guy in the story above, because of my personality, and because I've been comfortable as a gay man for many years now. Some gay men behave as though they're victims, and just like in the school playground, this encourages people to treat them like victims and bully them. In terms of being gay, the longer someone has accepted their sexuality the more confidence they'll have about it. None the less, I'm still not going to come out at work just yet.

No comments: